Role of the
First Time Leader
- Understanding the implications of transitioning from an Individual Contributor to a Manager of People.
Stakeholder expectation management
- Achieving results through people
- Understanding people (beliefs, values, empathy, listening)
- Building trust
- Work allocation – skill-will matrix, effective delegation
- Developing people
- Setting objectives, tracking performance and giving feedback
- Understanding what motivates people
- Creating work environment that fosters motivation
Case Studies for this Program
- The client company wanted a program for their first level managers. The intended audience were new managers in the company. The objective of the program was to help them transition from the role of an individual contributor to that of a people manager.
Typically, the first level managers had an overall experience of 7-9 years and had software engineers reporting to them. They were in the age group of 27–30 years. They in turn reported to project managers. They were looking to deploy this program to 550 first level managers over the next 12 months.